DA Approval!

Finally!

Today I got a phone call from The Lovely Sandi at Wisdom, to tell me that she’d spoken to council and that our stamped, approved plans were in the post on their way back to her.

Yipee!!

It’s a bit disappointing that I thought this had actually all happened last week, as Sandi was told on Wednesday that the plans were approved and awaiting stamping. So I assumed that our plans were already with the Certifier, awaiting the Construction Certificate! What council didn’t tell Sandi was that 3 of their 4 admin staff were off sick, so there was no stamping done last week! It’s obviously a very big stamp that Blacktown Council uses, as one person can’t manage it on their own!

Anyway, doesn’t matter. What matters is we have our DA!

I do wonder about the process of getting the DA and the Construction Certificate (CC) approvals. From speaking to many of my soon-to-be neighbours, who are building with other builders, they have received approval on both items at the same time, via council. However Wisdom uses a private certifier for the CC, and this adds another 2-3 weeks to the process apparently. So I have to question the rationale behind this process, when it seems obvious to me that the quickest and easiest way to do this would be to just deal with one entity (ie: council) and have approvals granted together. I also wonder if there have been many situations where a DA has been granted, but then the CC hasn’t been forthcoming. I don’t imagine this would happen often, and the reason for my pondering this is that I’m thinking perhaps by using a private Certifier, Wisdom are in effect buying themselves another 2-3 weeks to get all their ducks in a row, before they enter the 20-working-day countdown for material ordering and commencement. I might be being cynical? And I’m certainly not having a go at Wisdom, they have been fantastic to date, but I do have to wonder the reasons why!

My other exciting news is that we have FINALLY sorted out the issues we were having with our finance, and we are signing our NEW loan documents tomorrow night. Since just before Christmas, our financial situation has been impacted by stupid bank valuations, and there have been a number of times where I have been tempted to say, no more, lets just cut our losses and walk away. But each time I’ve felt like that, I have taken a drive out to the estate, and realised that the dream we have is something that is worth fighting for. And finally, with a lot of patience, and some help from a family member who made an introduction at exactly the right time (the old “it’s not what you know, but who you know”) we are now back on track!

So whilst the waiting game continues, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we are almost ready to turn soil. I can’t believe that this time last year we were almost ready to put our home on the market, and were madly decluttering and putting things into storage. I never expected, a year later, that we would STILL have things in storage (including my son’s 1st birthday presents… he turns 2 on Sunday!) Our decision to build, made only after we sold, has certainly caused us some inconvenience, but in the overall scheme of things, it’s not that big a deal. Anything worth anything doesn’t come easily!

Advertisements